"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jerimiah 29:11

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Gilliam Makes Another Masterpiece with Dr. Parnassus


Terry Gilliam is and always has been one of my favorite film directors. Most all of his movies are thoroughly entertaining romps through surreal and imagined worlds that can only exist within our own minds and Gilliam's sense of humor is incredibly unique and often dark as well. His latest film, THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR. PARNASSUS is a crowning example of why I love his work so much and what made it even more enjoyable were the various elements and imagery that reminded me of two of his earlier films: TIME BANDITS and THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN. Both these films featured struggling stage performers trying to make a living amidst a host of whimsical stage props and ridiculously ornate costumes. They also presented huge dream-like landscapes and environments. DR. PARNASSUS has all these elements as well and they are all portrayed beautifully. Christopher Plummer delivers an excellent performance as Parnassus and Heath Ledger, as the corrupt Tony, is perfectly played. This is definitely the one Gilliam fans have been waiting for and this time around he practically clobbers the audience over the head with his signature style.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, this was the weirdest movie I have ever seen. I loved how vague it was. It made you fill in all the gaps yourself.

    I can only wonder why this devily dude keeps tormenting the good doctor with gambling... gotta feel sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete